A background check is a simple process whereby you request details of someone’s past, in particular whether they have a criminal record. This process used to be erroneous and time consuming, however, with the advent of the internet, checking criminal records has become a much easier and faster process. In fact, looking up criminal records has become pretty much instantaneous.
A criminal background check will obtain results by searching multiple databases which attempts to locate any potential local, state and federal criminal records, including nationwide arrest records.
Performing a criminal background check is essential for those who need to have a full profile of the people they are dealing with, especially in the following circumstances:
- Charitable donations – it is advisable to perform a criminal background check prior to donating money, in particular to less well known organisations or persons. This should ensure you’re not dealing with a con artist or someone with a lengthy arrest record, and should increase the chance that your donation goes to the intended cause.
- Online dating – when meeting someone for the first time after chatting online, it is advisable to ensure they have no arrest record. Such a check should ensure your safety. Equally, when being set up with someone (in the offline world), ensure you obtain some basic details on them, look up their criminal records to ensure they have no criminal history.
- Hiring a babysitter or nanny – it is absolutely essential that a criminal background check is performed when hiring someone that will be in charge of your child’s safety. You would normally expect the agency to have performed such a background check, but it is recommended that you perform an online criminal background check yourself in addition to any other assurances you receive.
- New neighbours – when someone new moves into the apartment or house next door, it is always good to know as much as possible about them, especially if you have small children. While some may see this as overly cautious, don’t get caught by saying “what if”.
- New business partner – when working with someone, it is always good to have a full history of that person, unless you can obtain some great references. There are too many con man out there, so don’t get caught out!
- New employee – if you’re a small business owner, it is essential that you search that persons records to ensure you’re not dealing with a violent criminal. This will reduce the risk of being involved in drawn out lawsuits if something goes wrong.
However, deciding on performing a criminal background check on those around you is only the beginning. It is important that you choose the right service. There are many competing websites claiming they are the best. Therefore some homework is required to ensure you’re using a good service.
Background checks can vary in respect of how far they go back in time. The further back it goes, the better, as you’re more likely to find a criminal record if there is one. Moreover, it is important that the service you choose has a proven and effective system to accurately check someone’s history. A good value service should provide you with a printable document at the end of the search containing all the information you require.
Moreover, when deciding on a background check service, it may be worth looking at how long they have been established. Also, reading a few testimonials should give you a flavour of whether customers are satisfied with the service – most reputable services will have testimonials on their website which you can read.
For my recommendation on which service to use, go to http://www.lookupcriminalrecordsnow.com/look-up-criminal-records-the-best-way
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7202103